Read more about the eID scheme from Belgium, itsme.
Belgian Mobile ID (BMID), also referred to as 'itsme', is an identity scheme originating from Belgium. The scheme is co-created by banks and telecom providers to allow easy digital identity proofing and signing use cases. Currently itsme has millions of users in the Belgium market, which is still increasing significantly. itsme provides a mobile application to citizens requiring users to perform a one-time registration before users can start using the service. Users can either onboard in the itsme application either through a bank account or derive the identity directly from the Belgian National Identity Card (Belgium eID).
itsme offers a secure and easy means of electronic identification that allows end-users to digitally log in to and/or register for business and government services and sign documents.
- itsme is ISO27001 certified.
- Uses multi-factor authentication and is PSD2 compliant.
- Offers a "high" Level of Assurance (LoA).
- Services include identification and authentication.
The itsme scheme supports different method types, designed for different purposes. The available methods are:
- Identity proofing: used to identify and onboard users.
- Authentication: used to authenticate recurring users.
itsme can be used to securely identify users electronically with validated attributes. Merchants can implement itsme in their own client application and provide users the possibility to identify and/or authenticate through their own trusted bank environment.
Typically the following is applicable when going through the itsme flow:
- The consumer visits the merchant's website and proceeds to onboard / authenticate through itsme.
- The merchant redirects to the Signicat platform and starts an itsme transaction for that specific user.
- The consumer will be redirected to itsme and the user needs to provide the mobile phone number in the itsme UI.
- The user then needs to give consent in the mobile itsme application to share the attributes and the user will be redirected to the merchant's website.
- Signicat then retrieves a confirmation of a successful transaction and returns the attributes to the merchant.